Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hagia Sophia, Turkey

The Hagia Sophia was and Eastern Orthodox cathedral from 537 to 1453, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral. From 1453 until 1931 it was converted to a Mosque. As of 1931 it was opened as a museum representing all religions associated with the building.

This is the foundation of the original Hagia Sophia.  It was built as a church between 532 and 537 on the orders of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian. 
As a Mosque the pagans could go no further than this outer hall.
The Christians could go into the second hall
Only the Emperor could go through this door
When the cathedral was taken over as a mosque the crosses were broken off the doors and made into different design


Inside the main hall the domes along with other areas of the church were designed with pure gold mosaics. The value of the gold used today would be 8 billion dollar. As a mosque the pictures were covered with plaster or destroyed.


                                                    Marble vase dating back 2000 years
                                        The walls are covered in marble as well as the floor
Didn't get all of the circles, but there is the center circle with 12 smaller circles representing Christ and the apostles.
                                            Candles and candles sticks a gift from egypt. Altar of Mosque.



                                 The Virgin Mary, Jesus and John the baptist. (gold mosaics)


                     Pagan symbols on the outer hall of the main room ? representing Zeus

No comments:

Post a Comment