During the Ottoman rule 1395-1878 the church was taken and turned into a mosque. Unfortunately the old frescoes were covered by plaster. It was abandoned in 1858 when a second earthquake struck causing severe damage. The bell fell down and was damaged. A new bell was hung in a tree and remains there today.
It is built in the style of a Byzantine basilica. Inside remains of a mosaic from one of the 4th century churches can be seen in the floor.
After liberation in 1878 an extensive restoration was completed, the church is still in use today.
The City of Sofia was named in the 18th century after this church.
|The tomb of the unknown solider.|
|The Lion that protect the tomb|